HOW DO I REGISTER?
AN ECI’S GUIDE TO REGISTRATION WITH THE ECC
1. Why do I need to register my institution?
According to the Early Childhood Act (2005), all persons operating an ECI must register with the Early Childhood Commission (ECC).
2. What is the cost of registration?
The cost of registration is $1, 500.00 and can be paid at any National Commercial Bank (NCB). Vouchers for payment are available at the following locations:
- Early Childhood Commission
- ECC’s Resource Centres
3. What other documents do I need to register?
The following documents should accompany your completed application form:
- Proof of payment of registration fee
- Two passport-sized photographs of the applicant
- A reference from any two of the following.
- A Justice of the Peace
- A Minister of Religion
- An Attorney-at-law
- The Principal or the Chairman of the Board of Management of an educational institution
- A former employer of the applicant
- A Resident Magistrate or a Judge of the Supreme Court
- A police officer above the rank of Inspector
- A report from the Jamaica Fire Brigade stating that your institution has been inspected and meets the requisite fire standards.
- A report from the Public Health Department stating that your institution has been inspected and is in compliance with the provisions of the Public Health Act.
- A copy of the following must be supplied for the applicant and employees:
- Certification of good health from a registered medical practitioner
- A food handler’s permit
- A police record
- Copy of qualification certificate(s)/proof of training
- Verification of training in the following areas: Paediatric First Aid; the use of Universal Precautions against blood borne illnesses; recognizing signs of child abuse; Referral Mechanism and Reporting Requirements under the Public Health Act and Child Care and Protection Act
- The name and job description of each employee and a copy of the terms of employment
- Details of the premises or proposed premises:
- A floor plan of each building
- A description of the structure
- A list of furniture and equipment
- Any other details as may be prescribed
- Fees to be charged and proposed sources of funding.
4. What is the process for registration?
You can download a copy of the brochure outlining the registration process here.
5. How often do I apply for Registration?
You apply for registration every five (5) years.
6. Ensure that the ECC is notified of all changes made to your institution.
There are certain changes that by law the Commission should be notified of immediately. These include:
- Changes to enrollment
- Change in the type of institution
- Significant changes to the physical environment
- Changes to the number of employees (requires submission of documents F and G)
- Relocation of an ECI (requires submission of documents A, D, E and H)
- Change in principal/operator (requires submission of documents B, C, F and G) along with a completed application form.
DOWNLOAD SAMPLE REGISTRATION PACKAGE
Visit, call or email the ECC Regulation and Monitoring Department for further information on the registration process. Our office is open Monday to Thursday 8:30a.m. – 5:00p.m.; and Fridays 8:30a.m. – 4:00p.m.
Early Childhood Commission
44-49 Kingston Mall,
8-10 Ocean Boulevard,
Kingston, Jamaica W.I.
Tel: (876) 922-9296-7
Fax: (876) 922-9295