THE EARLY CHILDHOOD COMMISSION
The Early Childhood Commission (ECC) an agency of the Ministry of Education, Youth and Information with responsibility to regulate the operation of Early Childhood Institutions, is seeking to identify highly motivated and dynamic individuals to fill the following vacant post:
INSPECTORS– REGION 1 (GMG/SEG 1)
Purpose of Job:
Reporting to the Senior Inspector, the Inspector is required to conduct inspections of early childhood institutions (i.e. day care centres and pre-schools) and interviews with the relevant personnel, in accordance with the Early Childhood Act and Regulations, and the Policies and Standards for the Operation, Management and Administration of Early Childhood Institutions in Jamaica. He/She is responsible to make recommendations to the Commission regarding eligibility for registration or permits to operate, and to report any infractions of the Act.
- Contacts operators of early childhood institutions to finalize arrangements, site inspections and interviews of relevant personnel.
- Conducts inspection visits based on the criteria outlined in the EC Act and Regulations, and Standards for the operation of early childhood institutions.
- Completes the Inspection Reports and submits the information to the Early Childhood Commission
- Recommends to the Commission institutions which qualify for registration or Permits to Operate
- Recommends time – scales for compliance with the Act and Regulations for those institutions which have been granted permits to operate
- Responds to questions and complaints from ECI Operators regarding the implementation of the Act, Regulations, Standards, inspection schedules, inspection results and compliance requirements
- Reports forthwith to the Commission any infringements of the Act and Regulations
- Makes recommendations for the closure of an institution as directed by the Act and Regulations
- Confers with Attorneys at Law regarding legal issues such as infractions of the law and appeals
- Represents the Commission in the Courts of law or before the Independent Appeals Tribunal in the case of infractions of the Act
- Provides information to support the development of comprehensive reports on each cycle of the inspectorate process – weekly reports
- Provide timely feedback on ways to improve the performance of the Inspectorate Division
- Sound knowledge of the Early Childhood Act and Regulations and the Standards for the Operation of Early Childhood Institutions in Jamaica
- Working knowledge of the Early Childhood Sector
- Working knowledge of child development
- Sound knowledge of relevant computer applications
- Analytical skills
- Sound human relations skills
- Sound oral and written communication skills
- Excellent investigative, observation and interviewing skills
- Excellent skills in using tact, initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines
- Excellent skills in organizing and prioritizing work and meeting critical deadlines
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- BSc. in Early Childhood Development, Education, Social Sciences or a related discipline.
- Three years working experience in early childhood development or a related field.
Special Conditions Associated with the Job:
- Extensive travel to inspect early childhood institutions located in designated areas.
- Required to carry out assignments in any parish within assigned Group and across Groups from time to time based on workflow.
- On occasion, testify on behalf of the Commission in legal proceedings.
Remuneration: Salary Scale $1,722,266.00 – $2,047,233.00 per annum, and any other allowances attached to the post
Written application along with detailed Curriculum Vitae should be submitted no later than Friday, August 19, 2022 to:
Manager, Human Resources & Administration
Early Childhood Commission
Shops 45-49 Kingston Mall
8-10 Ocean Boulevard, Kingston
Or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Job Category||Regulations and Monitoring|