First Step Early Childhood Institution
First Step Early Childhood Institution was established in September 6, 1999 by Rev. William Perkins on land donated to the community by Mr. Clifton Bent. The institution at the time of inception employed two staff members and one cook. Currently the staff complement includes 5 staff members (four practitioners and other support staff (janitor and grounds-man) with Rev. William Perkins serving as the school’s chairman.
The institution (which adjoins the United Evangelical Mission Outreach Church) is built on approximately ¼ acre of land in the farming community of Gratto Hill, Top Hill, and St. Elizabeth.
The structure is constructed of concrete with zinc roofing and slab (concrete) in some areas. Four classrooms, a sick bay, lunch room, resource room, administrative office, well maintained outdoors equipment play areas and separate bathroom facilities for staff members and children are available at the institution.
Address: Top Hill District, St. Elizabeth
Operator: Mr. William Perkins /Mrs. Charmaine Dennis Treasure
Telephone: 875-4014/ 963-1941 / 588-8593
- 10 sleeping mats
- Developmentally appropriate toys such as bats, balls hula hoops, skipping ropes, puzzles and building blocks.
- 1 CD player and educational CDs to support children’s language development.
- Five (5) additional teachers are needed to satisfy the teacher pupil ratio of 1:10
- Safety rails at the rear of upper floor.